Out In Schools is not currently offering the Indigenous Perspectives workshop at this time. We have paused these efforts and continue our organizational work to be in right relations with Indigenous peoples. To learn more about our commitments to Indigenous people and being in right relations, please read our public commitment.
Here are some great options for learning more about Two Spirit people, identities, and experiences. Please check out these amazing resources:
- A Two Spirit zine by Marie Laing: Conversations with Young Two-Spirit, Trans, and Queer Indigenous People in Toronto
- An introduction to Two-Spirit and local and online resources from Trans Care BC
- A recorded webinar with Two Spirit speakers reflecting on sexuality and gender, “Refocusing the Spectrum: Indigenous Reflections on Sexuality, Gender, and Health”
- The MMIWG2SLGBTQQIA+ National Action Plan Final Report includes information about Two Spirit people, including a timeline (see pages 11-12) and recommendations (see pages 36-39)
- SOGI resources from the UBC Faculty of Education
- All Out In Schools workshops include some Indigenous content as well. Visit our website to book a presentation
Here are some resources specifically for Indigenous 2SLGBTQ+ people:
- For folks in the Vancouver area, Urban Native Youth Association’s 2-Spirit Collective
- A list of local and online resources from Trans Care BC
Lastly, the Out In Schools film catalogue has an Indigenous, Two Spirit playlist. All educators in BC can register for free access to this great resource. Some of these films include talking points written by the Out In Schools team for educators to use in school settings.
We know this list does not represent all the available options. If you would like to suggest another resource for us to add to this list, please get in touch.